For the sake of the HTML purists in the audience, (Hi, Kate), I'm just going to provide a list of links to the pictures I've put up here. When I get around to making thumbnails of the pictures in question, I'll put them up here so you know what you're clicking on. All the pictures here are JPEG's, in case that matters to you.
- Mt. Fuji (33KB). This is the shot that currently heads the Japan page. Taken from the river bank behind my apartment in Komae.
- Bathroom (167KB). Nothing scatological here-- just a silly picture of me standing in the bathroom of my apartment. Standing flat-footed in front of the sink, my head touched the ceiling.
- Ginza from above (83KB). Shot looking over the Ginza district at twilight from the top of the Tokyo Tower (an inexplicable Eiffel Tower replica downtown). Tokyo stretches pretty much as far as you can see. The garish neon signs of the Ginza really stand out in this shot.
- Torii Gate (62KB). Random artsy shot through the torii gate of the Yasukuni Shrine at sunset. See the Infamy anecdote for more on the shrine.
- Birds (71KB). Random artsy shot #2, of birds atop the gate at the Yasukuni Shrine.
- Map (205 KB). The map referred to in the Infamy anecdote. Rather a large file, but it has to be to see anything.
- Takahashi family (104KB). The Takahashi family, often referred to in the Japan stories. Takahashi-san (the wealthy businessman) is in the center, his wife is on the right, and their son Takuya (the invaluable English-speaking cook at Bunrakutei, the robatayaki place I hung out at on Friday nights).
- Group shot (105KB). The Takahashis, my parents, and me. You can figure out who's who without a caption.
- Boozing (75KB). All the characters of the Intercourse anecdote: Me, Takahashi-san, and Ted. This is a little blurry, but then, so was I most of the time I was with these guys. If I ever become a hunted fugitive, I'd like this to be used as the grainy "last known photo" picture for the evening news.
- Colonel Santa (57KB). Captain Santa gets a promotion. Or something. Seen in downtown Kamakura.
- Season's Greetings (128KB). A nice thought, maybe, but just wrong enough to be really scary.
- Vanity Shot (92KB). While it may seem from this list of pictures that I've acquired a vast number of shots of myself in Japan, there really aren't all that many. This is probably my favorite picture of myself (which isn't as vain as it sounds-- I don't like most of my pictures...), taken by and at the insistence of a Japanese gentleman who was acting as an impromptu tour guide in Nikko.
Since I mention her frequently, I should throw in a couple of shots of me and Kate. Those with low tolerances for cute couple shots should go elsewhere.
- Me and Kate (47KB). All together now: Awwwww....
- Sight Gag (87KB). Someone once told us that when we sat together, we looked like a sight gag. I can't imagine why... Also a decent shot of my old apartment in New Haven...
Japan | Links | Reviews | Book Log | Home | CV
Last modified: 11 December, 2001